Baked Sweet Potatoes & Birdie's
There's a great BBQ spot in Petersburg, VA. It started as a converted shipping container with a window and a smoker outside. Sort of a food truck without wheels, called Saucy's Walk Up. You could get lunch, but you had to take it somewhere else to eat. Being the BBQ lovers that we are, we were on the prowl to find this spot and sample. By the time we were able to locate them, Saucy's had become so popular, they had opened an actual restaurant, Saucy's Sit Down. You know I loved the cleverness!
Sure enough, pretty terrific BBQ, pulled, chopped, ribs? We loved it! They had an item on the menu called 'cue balls. Well, I had no interest in balls of deep fried pork barbecue. Seems out of character, I know. But I didn't.
A month or two later, we're visiting Petersburg with some friends doing a little snack and stroll. They were Saucy fans too. When we arrive, Dan and Beverly jump on the 'cue balls. I'm like, well, they are sitting right there. I was blown away! This wasn't BBQ at all! These were deep fried balls of sweet potato, cheddar cheese, and jalapeño. And delicious!
I kept thinking cheese on a sweet potato? I had to know what our Jalapeño Pimento Cheese would be like. I'm here to tell you, it is amazing!
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- Crisco shortening
- Birdie’s Pimento Cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper (Optional)
- Wash the potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with foil.
- Using Crisco, fully coat the outside of the potatoes.
- Bake until tender (approximately 1 hour).
- Split the tops open with a knife and add a dollop of your favorite Birdie’s Pimento Cheese. (*We highly recommend Jalapeno).
- Finish with freshly ground black pepper (Optional).